I know that you want to be liked.
I get it.
You are a nice person.
You care about your team.
You want to do a good job.
However, I talk to leaders all the time who are too nice.
Is that possible?
To be frank, your job is not a popularity contest.
As a leader, sometimes you need to make difficult decisions. These decisions won’t always be popular.
As a leader, sometimes you need to give difficult feedback. This feedback won’t always be received well.
As a leader, sometimes you need to restructure, let people go or implement changes that won’t always be seen as nice.
It’s just part of the job!
So, if leadership isn’t about being nice or popular…what is it about?
Here are 5 ways that you can be an effective leader:
- Show up authentically as yourself.
- Give constructive feedback right away as it will help your team to develop.
- Make difficult decisions. Don’t avoid them.
- Build high-trust, respectful relationships up, down, and across your organization.
- Be willing to engage in conversations where there is “healthy conflict.”
So, remember, being a leader sometimes comes with tough choices, difficult decisions or tasks that require courage.
Bring your best self to work every day, and don’t worry too much about being too nice or too popular.