Would you like to have a high-performing team?
Let me assume that you answered this question with at least a “yes” if not a “hell yes”!!
Well, the truth is that building a high-performing team involves many moving parts.
So where should you start?
Start by focusing on building high-trust relationships.
Trust lies at the heart of any high-functioning, cohesive team.
Think of it this way…
- If you want to have open communication with your team…they need to trust that when they speak up or challenge your views that they will be safe.
- If you want people to take risks…they need to trust that you will have their back if they fail.
- If you want your team to feel comfortable making decisions on their own…they need to trust that you’ll support their decisions.
These are just three quick examples that come to mind…and there are many, many more.
So, what can you do to ensure that you are building a high-trust culture on your team?
Here are 5 proven ways to build trust:
- Lead by example. If you expect your team to be on time, you need to be on time first.
- Do what you say you are going to do. Following up on your commitments is 100% critical to building and maintaining trust in any relationship
- Be transparent and honest with one another. Avoiding feedback or difficult conversations mitigates trust and creates tension in a relationship.
- Own your mistakes. Admit when you are wrong. Never blame another person or another team. Taking responsibility for your actions builds trust every time
- Be respectful all of the time. This seems like a given but some leaders feel like it’s okay to behave poorly and then apologize. This behaviour only creates tension and uncertainty in relationships.
As a leader, your goal is to focus on leveraging these 5 behaviours all of the time.
Building high-trust relationships means that your behaviour is consistent.
So here is your formula for success moving forward.
Consistent behaviour = trusting relationships = high-performing teams
After all, a team without trust isn’t really a team. Rather, it’s a group of individuals working together. When people trust one another…this is when your results will flourish.